Sunday, September 2, 2018

Right Back to Where It All Started...

Sometimes life changes, sometimes we take a break in things that were once very important to us, and then sometimes the season in our lives change again and bring us right back to what we once loved.

When I look back at this blog and see how long it has been since my last post, I can't believe that it has been two years since I have written a post.  In the past two years my life has changed in a major way.  I am no longer in the classroom and am now in administration.  I am the Assistant Director of Special Education for my school district.  Overall, I have to say, it's been a learning and growing process, but I do enjoy it.  This year one of my projects is to write a monthly special education newsletter and it brought back all of the feelings of blogging.  I enjoy celebrating others, sharing information related to special education, and helping others find ways to be efficient and serve the students we love.  This, in turn, brought me right back to why I started a blog in the first place! 

Because I am no longer in the classroom, I have a different view of special education, but I am still in love with the students and teaching.  My favorite part of my job is working with teachers and observing in the classrooms.  My favorite day is when I am able to get into the schools and spend time with people I love and being around the students. 

My goal for now is to pick up blogging again and to share information both from the classroom and the admin side of special education. I plan to share information from the monthly newsletter as it will have a theme each month.  September's theme is progress monitoring!  Special educators always need help in that arena!

Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. I just started working in Resource this year and your blog has given me some direction. Thank you. I wandered if you had a sample lesson plan of your day? I work with 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th grade students. I wondered if you every tried doing a novel study with your older kids or stuck with A-Z. I love those books too! I also wondered if the SRA helped your older students or just your younger ones. So many questions. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie!
    It’s been a been a while now since I’ve written an actual lesson plan, but I’ll look for some examples to post. I often co-taught in reading, so we did do novel studies. I would adapt the books using pictures for some of my students. I also used a story board to help some students understand what we happening in the story. SRA is great for younger and older students in elementary. Reading Mastery is most appropriate for primary age and Corrective Reasong for the later elementary age. Feel free to email any additional questions! There is a link to my email in the right sidebar.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! :)