Monday, July 21, 2014

Setting Up the Resource Classroom: Small Group Area


Today's Setup: The Small Group Area


The Small Group Area may be one of the easiest places to get setup.  In my room this consists of a kidney shaped tables and chairs. 

Told you it was easy!

Okay, okay…I know what you are thinking!  It really isn’t that simple—well it sort of is—but I know you didn’t come here just to read get a table and chairs!  Honestly, yes the majority of my small group teaching is done at the kidney table.  Last year, I didn’t get the kidney table until the end of the year and I am so thankful to start this year out with one.  Most of last year, I used tables grouped in fours, but that took up so much room in my small space and I also didn’t like that I could be with all of my kids at once.  I felt like I spent a lot of time standing in front of them teaching instead of being “right in there with them.”  Hence the reason I love a kidney or U-shaped table.  I can be within arms reach of all of my kids at one time and feel like I am right in the middle of their learning (and well literally I am!)   Many times at the small group area, I am teaching some sort of scripted intervention, leading a guided reading group or leading a math intervention group and for these reasons there are certain tools I like to have very near to me.

Here is a picture of the table.  Please keep in mind I just got back in my room today, so what you are seeing is a work in progress.  


The table is only one area of small group learning in my small space.  I also like to have another space used to small group instruction.  This gives my kids an opportunity for movement, allows for natural transition from one part of a lesson to another, and helps with engagement.  My second small group area centers around the pocket chart/stand.  This is where our vocabulary instruction takes place.  I haven't decided on whether or not to move this stand to another spot in the room yet.  I would like to have it near some carpet for some comfy seating, but the room size doesn't really allow for that at this point.  

Speaking of where things go, here's a tip! I like to use PowerPoint to come up with a model of my room and the furniture in my room.  I can manipulate and move the pieces around without actually lifting any furniture!  So perfect! :)

Key:
Blue: Permanent/Cannot be Moved
Gray:  Desks or shelves that can be moved


I hope you find something here that inspires you or you get a good idea!
Tomorrow I will be back with more classroom setup idea!

1 comment:

  1. I was just in my classroom today starting to set up. I'm in a classroom with two other teachers so it's definitely a tight squeeze. I have 16 kids on my caseload so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to set things up yet. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! :)