Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What's Up?

The first month of school is officially over!  The beginning of every new school year is so tough when you are trying to organize, learn new kids, and get all of the special ed paperwork under control.  I have made it though!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my new job?!  I have to say that I have worked at great schools and have had even more wonderful colleagues, but where I am right now couldn't be better.  The teachers, administration, parents and even the building itself makes the school I'm at so inviting, friendly and a joy to be at everyday.  This has definitely made the first month of school much easier!!

So...what have I been up to lately?  Mostly, I've been trying to get to know everyone (kids, other teachers, parents) and have been trying to find my groove.  I have already changed my schedule three times.  I think I have finally found the best fit (for now)!  My schedule is a mixture of resource and co-teaching in regular education classroom.  I honestly love both settings.  I love working right alongside other highly qualified educators and make the curriculum understandable and accessible to all students.  I also love teaching in the resource setting, because this is the place that I can really break down the information and meet my kids needs right where they are learning.  I teach resource for reading, writing, math, and social skills.  I co-teach in 3, 4, 5 grade math classes.

Right now I am working on putting together a special ed resource reading and math binder.  I have used binders in the past and do guided reading groups and math groups in resource.  However, I have not found the perfect guided reading or math group organization that works for me.  I am working on compiling some of my favorite resources and forms and combining them into my new resource group organization systems.  I hope to be sharing these with you very soon.  Reading is coming together nicely.  I'm also working on several blog posts about how I do resource, because several people have asked what I do to meet all of those different reading goals for student.

Well, friends...this is what I'm up to, in a nut shell!  I really hope to get back at blogging regularly!  I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel most days and am not overwhelmed by the first month of school anymore!

How are you holding up?  Is the first month of school the hardest for you?  How do you make it through the first month alive?

Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! :)