Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What I Learned During Christmas Break

We are going on day 5 of our extended Christmas break.  I have not been to school since December 18.  I love snow days.  I am going stir crazy!

Okay, the first two days we were out of school were a Thursday and Friday, as we were scheduled to go back to school on January 2.  I was so excited about the snow days!  Who wants to go back to school for two days?!  I had a sneaking suspicion though that those two days were only the beginning of an extended Christmas break...I was not wrong!  Snow and then a predicted polar vertex, meaning frigid temps and deathly cold days means no school in Kentucky!  I know those of you that live farther north think we are nuts for being out for an inch of snow and below zero temps, but when you are not used to it, then it is all just relative to where you live and what you are used to.  KY is not used to this mess! Here is what I've learned during the time we've been out of school:

1.  What the heck is a "polar vortex?"  This is a two word phrase that will be on next year's end of the year new words to add to the dictionary list!  Two words that can freeze up and die!!  I live in Kentucky.  I'm used to cold weather in the winter.  0 degree days and -24 wind chill is ridiculous!
What the polar vortex looks like (scientifically speaking)
"The polar vortex, as it sounds, is circulation of strong, upper-level winds that normally surround the northern pole in a counterclockwise direction -- a polar low-pressure system.  These winds tend to keep the bitter cold air locked in the Arctic regions of the Northern Hemisphere. It is not a single storm. On occasion, this vortex can become distorted and dip much farther south than you would normally find it, allowing cold air to spill southward." -CNN weather

What the polar vortex looks and feels like:
2.  My kids have played every game in our house and messed up every room accordingly.  Teachers love breaks.  We have summer off, right?  (PS-this is a pet peeve of mine.  When people say, "You are so lucky to be a teacher.  You have all summer off!"  GRRR!  Yes, it is nice to have summer off, but I can guarantee that I am doing other school related things, not just sipping margaritas and bathing in the sun.  Anyway...I digress.)  This "winter" break is getting crazy!  The difference between summer and winter break?  I can't send the kids outside to play, instead they mess up the inside of my house and then grumble about cleaning up their mess.  My husband's "man cave" has turned into the toy zone!

3.  Seriously, though, some good things have come from this break:
  • I found the floor of my laundry room!  My laundry is all finished and put away!
  • All of the kids Christmas toys received plenty of play time.
  • I read books, real books, unrelated to school books!
  • I also read school books!  Ready to try new things...if we ever make it back to school!
  • I spent (a lot) of quality time with my kids! :)
  • I spent a lot of time and money at TPT! 
  • I am off to a great start on my New Year's Resolutions.  I have had time to think and plan and make lots and lots of lists!  (My favorite pasttime!!)
  • I did a little shopping.  I had to get rid of the cabin fever somehow!  In between snow and the frigid temperature over the weekend I had some time to escape, just me and my Chloe, mom/daughter bonding time.  Target and Barnes and Noble...our two favorite stores!
I have had a great winter break, but I'm ready to go see my "other" kids!  I'm ready to get back into a routine.  I'm ready to say farewell to winter!  Bring on spring!!!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! :)